Best dogs for first time owners: Becoming a first-time dog owner sound really exciting but it can be a bit overwhelming. As there are so many breeds of dogs so it can be a little hard for you to choose the best one for yourself.
It is great if you have already thought about the kind of dog you want. But, it is worth considering some types of dogs that adapt for the first time to owners than others.
This article will provide you a list of best dogs for first time owners. So if you are going to be a first time owner and looking for best advice then keep reading this article till the end.
Golden Retriever – Best Dogs For First Time Owners
Golden Retriever is a consistent top dog. Golden Retrievers need more grooming than Labradors, but they have more intelligence.
For many dog owners, difference between golden Retriever and Labrador comes down to personal preference and looks. Golden are friendly and have a relaxed and always present smile.
- Goldens are active and need regular walks often interspersed with more intense activities such as running, hiking, fetching or training.
- Their coat type is long need regular brushing at home.
- Besides, they are very smart. The ranked 4 out of 137 in intelligence and require less than 5 repetitions to learn a new command.
- Goldens are 21 to 24 inches tall and weigh between 55 and 75 pounds.
Labradors are always in the top 3 most popular dog breed and there is a reason for this. labs are affectionate, smart, and energetic companions without being overwhelming.
However, make sure to find a pet labrador because a hunting type labrador will have far more energy than a pet labrador and it can be hard for a first-time owner to handle.
Characteristics Of Labradors
- They are active and need regular walks often immersed with more intense activities such as running, hiking, fetching or training.
- Labradors are very smart. They are ranked 7 out of 137 in intelligence. Usually, they took less than 5 repetitions to learn a command.
- Labradors weigh from 55 to 80 pounds and are around 21 to 25 inches tall.
Shih Tzus – Best Dogs For First Time Owners
These dogs are so brave, fearless, and cute as well. Though their skin coat needs a bit more work than pugs but they are incredibly athletic. If you have kids at home then Shih Tzus is absolutely a perfect choice your kids will love.
Characteristics Of Shih Tzus
- Shih Tzus have medium to high energy level. They are alert and love activities.
- They have a long coat that will need regular grooming.
- According to Stanley Coren’s The Intelligence of Dogs, these dogs are ranked 127 out of 137 for intelligence. They need 80 to 100 or more repetitions to learn new commands.
- Shih Tzus weigh from 9 to 16 pounds and are 8 to 11 inches tall.
Pugs – Best Dogs For First Time Owners
Pugs are friendly and happy dogs with an adorable and cute face. However, the biggest downside of pugs is their health problems because of their adorable short nose.
So make sure that you have got the money for potential health problems. Besides, you must have the heart for a dog as they might not live to 10 years old.
Pugs have a low to medium energy level. They are playful and enjoy gaming activities. However, their short legs and short nose make running and breathing a challenge for them.
Their coat type is short so you can maintain it easily. Pugs are ranked 107 out of 137 for intelligence and they take 40 to 80 repetitions to learn a new command.
Pugs weigh from 14 to 18 pounds and are 12-13 inches tall.
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel are cheerful dogs. They comprise a slightly less shortened noses than pugs, but still, they may suffer from similar health problems.
Characteristics Of Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Kings have a low to medium energy level. They are always ready for a walk or game. These are great lap dogs. The coat type of kings is long and needs regular brushing.
They possess average intelligence and ranked 72 out of 137. Generally, they take 25 to 40 repetitions to learn a new command. These are only 10 to 13 inches tall and weigh 13 to 18 pounds.
Greyhound – Best Dogs For First Time Owners
Originally greyhounds are racing dogs. They are bred to run after fast- retreating objects in short spurts.
However, they are affectionate and calm companions and are great for first time owners.
- Greyhounds have a medium energy level.
- Though they possess a good sprint, they are content to hang around the couch. The coat type of greyhounds is very short so they need one in colder areas.
- They possess average intelligence and are ranked 85 out of 137. They take 25 to 40 repetitions to learn a new command.
- They weigh between 60 to 70 pounds and are 27 to 30 inches tall.
These were some of the best dog types for first time owners. Being a first time owner, you need to choose a dog type that has easy to handle energy levels and health concerns.
I hope you like my post about the best dogs for first time owners. If you have any queries or want to share your opinion then write the, down in the comments section. We will be waiting to hear from you.