Watermelon is a delightful fruit with lots of nutrients. Some foods for human beings are loved by dogs too. Dogs enjoy such refreshing summer treats. The answer to the question Can Dogs Have Watermelon, is YES! Watermelon is mostly water with many health benefits.
Yet there are some parts and precautionary measures to be taken when feeding a dog with any fruit. Overfeeding any good thing can also become harmful to dogs. That is why dog owners should be careful while feeding fruits.
Let us see in detail How Can Dogs Have Watermelon and its health benefits.
Can Dogs Have Watermelon
Yes, it is safe to feed dogs with watermelon. This fruit contains Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, and potassium. Watermelon is considered itself a powerhouse because of its nutritional values.
Watermelon is a rich source of water. This fruit contains 92% of water. It keeps dogs as well as human beings hydrated in a hot summer. It does not have any harmful nutrients. It does not contain any cholesterol or fats.
Moreover, watermelons contain fiber too. This helps a dog to excrete extra sugar, so the sugar doesn’t have any unhealthy effect on the dog.
Watermelon is a rich source of vitamins but it should be fed in moderation. Overeating can cause diarrhea and gastric problems in dogs. The following rules should be followed to feed your dog a watermelon:
- Watermelon should be fed without seeds. Seeds can cause digestive problems in dogs. Remove seeds from watermelon slices before giving it to your dog. Despite, one or two seeds are not harmful.
- It is good to feed watermelon in day time after morning meal around 12 P.M.
- Do not feed more to small dogs. Keep an account of quantity.
- The best way to feed dog watermelon is in its purest form.
One cup / 152 grams of watermelon contains:
|Product||Lactose ( Grams )||Serving ( Cup )|
|Low Fat Yogurt||5||1|
Watermelon Treats for Dogs
Watermelon can be fed as a treat to dogs. Such treats are great and easy to be fed. You can mix watermelon with other things to create a fusion of treats. Mixing watermelon with other foods that is safe for dogs can add more nutritional values.
- Watermelon Juice:
- Simply cut watermelon slices.
- Remove seeds.
- Add 2 cups of watermelon in a blender.
- Add 1cup of water or coconut milk. (Coconut is safe for dogs)
- Blend it well.
- Pour it into an ice tray for fun shapes.
- This treat can be enjoyed by dogs and human beings too.
- Dried Watermelon
- It is also known as Watermelon jerky or Watermelon chews. It is a dehydrated form of watermelon. It doesn’t contain much water as a pure form contains.
- Cut watermelon and remove seeds.
- Put the slices in an oven (dehydrator) for at least 8 hours at 135 degrees.
- Remove from oven, save it in a container.
- Your dog will enjoy a fun chewy treat.
- Watermelon Frozen Yogurt
- Put seedless slices of watermelon in a blender.
- Blend well.
- Add watermelon puree in a popsicle cup or ice cube molds. Fill halfway only.
- Add yogurt also.
- It is advisable to add low-fat sugar-free yogurt.
- Though some dogs are allergic to dairy products. So you can replace yogurt with water.
It looks like watermelon contains only water and sugar. But in actual, there is a lot more in this fruit. It provides vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants with a small number of calories. Watermelon decreases the risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
Watermelon is a rich source of lycopene than any other fruit which protects the heart and supports strong bones. Some other health benefits of dogs from watermelon nutrients are:
|Nutrients||Benefits for Dog|
|Potassium||It helps to maintain fluid level in dogs|
Good for Muscle function
Responsible for nerves function.
Beneficial for heart and kidneys.
|Vitamin A||Support vision|
Good for reproduction
Responsible for immune and cell function.
|Vitamin B6||Stabilize blood sugar level|
Good for Hair coats
Dogs are less likely to suffer from aging problems.
Help dogs to overcome skin problems.
Promote the immune system.
Helps dogs in learning complex tasks easily.
One cup of watermelon contains the following amount of vitamins:
- Vitamin A 17%
- Vitamin C 21%
- Iron 2%
- Calcium 1%
Some Risks Factors
Watermelon is safe and good for dogs. But it can become a pain in the neck if it doesn’t suit your dog. Some risks factors are:
- Digestive issues in a dog.
- Eating too much watermelon is a big cause of diarrhea.
- The skin of watermelon and the light green outer layer of watermelon is not safe for dogs. Eating rinds can cause blockage in intestines. As rinds cannot be chewed properly.
- Even though eating seeds can cause blockage in the digestive tract.
- Products containing watermelon is not recommended for dogs. Such products contain a lot of sugars. Watermelon should be given in pure form only.
Your pet should be fed a balanced diet. Adding fruits and vegetables to a dog diet will help them get all essential nutrients. Yet, some fruits and vegetables should be avoided.