Our children are our future and will have the responsibilities in the next few decades. There are so many important things to teach them. They need to learn how to be productive, creative and a responsible individual. You also need to teach them how to take care of themselves and their loved ones. It’s also important to teach them about our mother Earth and how to take care of the world they’re living in.
Tips For Teaching Children To Care About Environment
Here are a few tips you can follow to teach your children to take care of our environment and in helping them appreciate our nature more.
- Teach your children about our “global home”. Do not litter at home and pick up your rubbish even when you are outside. And teach your children to do the same.
- Take your kids to the parks, green, clean and preserved places and teach them how to appreciate these places.
- Develop your children’s interest in gardening. Grow different plants and followers in your garden and keep pot plants and take care of them.
- Avoid long showers. Try to conserve water as much as you can. Turn off the tap water when you are brushing your teeth. Teach your children the same thing.
- Encourage your kids to turn off the lights when they are not in use. Explain the importance of not leaving the lights and appliances and the importance of natural resources too.
- Try to use the leftover food and make new dishes with it. Teach your kids about the significance of food.
- Teach your kids about the importance of recycling. Use the old magazines and newspapers for arts and crafts.
- Avoid using disposable cups and plates as it is a leading issue of pollutants involved in polluting our Earth.
- Try to fix old furniture before opting for new one. Go for used furniture if needed.
- You can borrow equipment from others to avoid buying something you rarely use. Lend people your stuff for the same purpose. This shall also generate the feeling of sharing goods in your children.
- Be a good role model for your kids as they learn more by actions rather than words. Perform good deeds so that your kids can repeat them.
- Encourage your kids not to mistreat animals. Teach them to take care of wildlife and treat them with love and kindness.
- Reuse things as much as possible especially paper. If you have to print, utilize both sides and then opt for another paper.
- Wash your car on the grass to avoid wasting water.
- You should use reusable bags and boxes instead of plastic bags and shoppers.
- Educate your child about the importance of reducing carbon dioxide from our environment for a healthy, happy and greener life. For example: Walk instead of using your car.
- Recycle your clothes. Use their fabric to make some more clothes or small necessary things that you need to buy, like a handkerchief. The more you use, the fewer people need to produce.
- Now finally, after applying all of the above tips, ask your children about their opinion. Engage in a healthy conversation about nature with your child and start them thinking about it. The more they think, the more they start caring about it. Also, allow your child to make decisions as it will empower them to take charge of their actions and deal with the consequences more confidently.
But remember, the best way to make them understand the importance of nature is by showing them with examples. Act more than you talk and your children will grow up to be exactly how you want them to be. After all, children are mirrors of their parents.
If you would like to read similar articles on How To Teach Children To Take Care Of Environment, We recommend you browse through our Education category.