Have you ever seen the line across the globe dividing it into the two parts? Why this line is present there and what is its use? An imaginary line that is used to divide the Earth into two parts i.e. northern and southern hemisphere is known as the Equator. It is perpendicular to the axis of rotation of the Earth. Its length is equal to 40,075 kilometers and it crosses 78.7% of water and 21.3% of the land.
The latitude of the Equator of the earth is 0°, which has very interesting meaning that the countries that are crossed by this line have a unique climate. They have the equatorial climate which means that there is rainfall throughout the year, meek temperatures and little wind.
If you want to know that which countries came across this line then in this article, we will explore the countries which cross the equators, so read the article till the end.
Countries That Cross The Equator
Even though the most of the ocean’s part came across the equator but the 13 countries of 3 continents cross the equator.
- Sao Tome
- The Democratic Republic of the Congo
- The Republic of the Congo
- The Maldives
Some Interesting Facts About The Equator
- The time span between the sunrise and the sunset, in the countries located across the equator, is the fastest and the shortest. This time span of the transition from day to night is too short that it takes only a few minutes.
- At the equator line, the Earth has the wider diameter and this phenomenon is known as equatorial bulge and Earth’s equatorial bulge is about 43 kilometers.
- In the Equatorial region, the earth’s gravitational force and the momentum are slightly weak, that is why it is an ideal place for the launching of spacecraft in the space.
- Sailors have a ritual or celebration when they sail through the equator and they named it as crossing the line. Polly-wogs are those sailors who have never crossed this line.
Climate In The Equatorial Region
The climate of this region is unique as the sun passes through it twice a year in the spring and autumn season. Although this region is close to the sun as compared to others but besides fact this region has moderate temperature and the weather is never too hot as compared to other regions.
I hope this post was advantageous to you and if you have any query or wants to give suggestions then write it down in the comments section. For more articles of your interest, you may visit Education category at TryArticles.