One of the most important parts of our appetite is Fruits and vegetables, and for a person who is a health freak, cannot even think, living without them. Because they contain Vitamins and Minerals, the building blocks of our body. Whenever we eat fruits and vegetable, so we should always make sure to completely wash and disinfect them. This is important to remove any germs like bacteria, and dirt that may be present on them.
These germs may have the negative impact on our health. Moreover, while buying fruits and vegetables, we don’t know what processes they have gone through and what kind of place they were grown in.There may be harmful pesticides and chemicals used to grow them, whose remnants may be present still which are bad for human health. Therefore it is always best to be safe rather than sorry.
Here are a few ways in which you can easily disinfect your fruits and vegetables at home.
What You Will Need to Disinfect Fruits and Vegetables before Eating
- Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda)
- Chlorine bleach
- White Vinegar
Steps for Disinfect Fruits and Vegetables before Eating
Fruits and vegetables should be the essential part of our diet but the ones that have insecticides and pesticides on them could cause infectious diseases in our body. Following these methods do not take long at all. You can disinfect your fruits and vegetables at home before you consume them, with these easy steps.
- The first thing to do is to wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly. Wash them under the tap for at least 2 minutes, scrub them using a brush or sponge if there is too much dirt on them. But do not break the skin or bruise them. Do not remove any stems or ends of the fruits or vegetables, as this makes them go bad quicker.
- Leafy vegetables need to be washed leaf by leaf to make sure no contaminants remain and nothing can affect its freshness. After these fruits and vegetables will be free from germs and insecticides.
After washing, take a liter of water in a bowl and mix in 1 tablespoon of baking soda in it. Soak the fruits or veggies in this solution for at least 10 minutes. After soaking, wash them again with tap water and remove all the sodium bicarbonate from the fruits and vegetables so that they will be germ-free and good to eat.
- Another method is to use chlorine bleach to disinfect the fruits and vegetables. Chlorine is proved to be one the strong oxidizing agent. So, Simply take four to five drops of chlorine bleach in one liter of water. Mix it well. Wash the fruits and vegetables in the water, and immediately rinse them off. Make sure the bleach did not have any fragrance or thickeners added to it.
- This method is not highly recommended as it may do more harm than benefit. Leaving the fruits or veggies in this bleach water may be dangerous if they are not properly washed afterward.
White vinegar Wash
- White vinegar is a well-known and effective way to disinfect your fruits and vegetables. No bacteria or contaminants can stay active after being treated with vinegar. Simply take 1 cup of vinegar and add it a liter of water. Or in other words, take one part vinegar and two parts water in a container. Soak your fruits and veggies in this mixture for around fifteen to twenty minutes. Rinse them afterward.
- Vinegar also helps keep your veggies crispy and firm, which is an added benefit and make them fresh for more than 2 days.
- Now thoroughly wash your fruits and vegetables again, with cold water. This is done so that the disinfectants themselves are completely removed from the fruits and vegetables, and do not cause any problems.
- After doing the above-mentioned steps, your fruits and vegetables are completely dirt and germ-free and are ready to eat, so eat away and live a healthy germ-free life!
I hope you find my article helpful if you have any further queries you can mention in the comment section down below, I’ll be humble to help you out. For other related articles, you can visit www.Tryarticles.com