If you have a pet dog in your home then it is interesting to know that dogs can also suffer hiccups similar to human beings and they show similar symptoms during Hiccups like we do. An involuntary contraction of the diaphragm for a short period of time with frequent sound is called hiccups. In case you are curious why your pet is suffering from hiccups then read this article because we going to explain how you can help your dog to get rid of hiccups.
Steps To Stop Hiccups
- First of all, it is important to know the age of the dog in which he is suffering from hiccups it is common for a puppy to suffer hiccups because small dogs are likely to have this annoying sound.
- It is observed that hiccups constantly beset your dog in case hiccups are persistent then we suggest you take your pet to vet immediately to make sure there is nothing serious. There are some breeds of dogs which are more prone to hiccups like pinscher, Golden Retriever, and Chihuahua.
- To get rid of hiccups you need to first evaluate the possible causes to prevent recurrence. One of the main reason behind hiccups is feeding your pet too fast. In case your pet eats its food quickly and eagerly then they have a greater predisposition to hiccups.
- Try to teach your pet to eat slowly otherwise this habit is very harmful and have bad consequences in future such as gastric torsion.
- In cold weather, dogs are more prone to get hiccups, for example, Chihuahua dogs get cold more easily and therefore chances of getting cold are very high.
- illness is another cause of hiccups, in this case, you must take your pet to vet and get prescription from the vet. Stress and fear in dogs also cause hiccups.
- Once you identify the main cause of hiccups in your pet then you can take steps to get rid of them. As you know the triggers of hiccups it becomes easy for you to find the solution for it, such as if your pet eats its food quickly then you have to control the dog’s food intake.
- If you are giving your pet food in one portion then it is best to divide it into 3 portions which help your dog to digest its food more easily and suffer less anxiety.
- In case you are going outside then you can get an automatic feeder from the pet store and program it according to your wish, we recommend you to take your dog to exercise before and after eating.
- In case the hiccups of your furry friend are due to cold then the best approach to deal with it is put some warm clothes on your pet whenever you are taking your pet outside.
- Make sure there are several rest areas for your pet which have the warm and comfortable bed, in case your pet is very sensitive to cold then you can buy a thermal bed for them to control the temperature.
- If your dog sleeps in the floor then its body temperature alter very fast and it can get cold, therefore make sure your dog’s house is fully covered and there is no hole in the house through which cold air comes in.
- You should make a home for your pet which has a roof because it will protect the dog from wind and rain, in case weather is worst then you can take your pet indoors.
- Whenever you provide water to your dog in winter check it after some time to make sure it is not frozen. If the water becomes frozen due to weather then your pet cannot drink it which will affect its health and causes dehydration.
- It is best to check your pets water time to time in the cold weather and replace the water bottles with fresh water.
- Food is another important factor which you should keep in mind although dogs become lazy in winter but still they need the energy to withstand the cold weather. We recommend you to take your pet to vet and ask him what steps you can take in winter to protect your dog from the cold, for example, should you take your pet outdoors, where should it live etc.
- Do not cut your pet’s hair especially in winter, you can cut the hair in spring but never cut their hairs in cold weather because dogs fur protects them from cold weather and keeps them warm.
- In case your pet has long hairs then you must use a grooming rake or a fine-toothed comb because fine-toothed combs have one single line of needle-shaped teeth which are evenly spaced, on the other hand, grooming rakes have more than a single line of teeth.
- Different types of brushes are available in the market for different types of dogs and their hairs choose a brush which is best suitable for your pet. One common brush which you can use for all dogs is a slicker brush to clean your pet.
- You can use a dryer after giving a bath to your pet but make it sure your pet does not afraid of it otherwise you can use a towel to dry your pet.
- If you see your dog suddenly stop drinking water and do not want to play or eat then you must immediately take your pet to vet because there are a various disease like parvovirus or distemper which decrease the interest of animals to drink water.
- This article is only based on providing basic information, Tryarticles does not have any authority or responsibility to prescribe any medicine or treatment we strongly recommend you to take your pet to vet in case of any type of pain or condition your dog to have.
I hope you find my article helpful if you have any further queries you can mention in the comment section down below, I’ll be humble to help you out. For other related articles, you can visit Tape daily