Fish Oil For Dogs: Fish oil is very beneficial for Dogs. It can improve a dog’s coat, skin, heart health, joints and more. These oils are full of Omega-3 fatty acids. That helps your dog to grow and be active.
Fish oil can be a great supplement for your dogs but in a limit. Fish oil also aids in serious diseases like tumor and kidney problems in dogs. It is an excellent source of energy for pets.
Moreover, it is better to consult your vet before giving any supplements to your dog.
Fish Oil For Dogs
Two major fatty acids Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) are present in fish oil. Dogs made these fatty acids in a limit and these are somehow their need.
DHA and EPA come from fish like mackerel, salmon, herring, sardines, and others. Furthermore, there are 3 kinds of dietary fats that are given below:
- Saturated fats
- Polyunsaturated fats
- Monounsaturated fats
Moreover, dog body needs omega-6, omega-3, and polyunsaturated fats for many reasons that are given below:
- Omega-3 fatty acids help to improve the skin and coat of your dog. It is an amazing source of energy for your pets. These fatty acids improve the joint health of your pups.
- Hormones present in omega-6 helps to increase the response of your dog’s immune system. It also increases blood clotting, cell growth of body and inflammation.
- Omega-3 fatty acids help to balance the properties of omega-6 fatty acids. Although, it works as an anti-inflammatory in some conditions like arthritis and others.
- Moreover, omega-3 fatty acids might help to improve cognitive functions in old doggies. It also helps in the cognitive development of puppies.
Omega-3 fatty acids are majorly found in cold-water fish, plant, nut oils, and flaxseed. Moreover, omega-6 acids are commonly found in canned foods and grains.
So, many dog food manufacturers use refined oils such as soybean oil and others. These oils contain a high content of omega-6 acids. It means your doggy end up having too much omega-6 and not enough omega-3 acids.
Benefits of Fish Oil for Pups
Mentioned below are some benefits of giving fish oil to your dogs:
- Omega-3 fatty acids help to reduce dandruff and itchy skin of your dogs. It acts as an anti-inflammatory for many diseases like kidney, skin, and heart.
- DHA fatty acid helps in the eye and brain development of newborn dogs.
- This oil reduces shedding in dogs. It makes the coat of dogs shiny.
- Few vets suggest fish oil for the pets having cancer. As it slows down the development of a tumor.
- This oil increases your dog’s stamina.
- Fish oil adds moister to the irritated and dry skin of your doggy.
- It keeps the blood triglycerides in check.
How to Feed Supplements to Pups
Fish oil capsules come in liquid form. Inside the capsule, there is a thick oil. So you can open the capsule by poking it using a needle or any sharp object. Then put this oil from the capsules to your dog’s food.
Dosage of Oil
Before giving any supplement to your dog, you have to consult your vet. The vet is the one who will decide the perfect dosage of fish oil for your dog. He will set the dosage according to the size and weight of your dog. So, self-medication is not advisable, you must go to your vet before introducing fish oil to your dog’s diet.
How to select an Oil for Doggies
Always choose a fish oil that is easy to absorb in your dog’s body. Fish oil should be natural without any chemicals and preservatives.
Moreover, if your select synthetic fish oil then its the best to use for dogs.
Possible Side Effects of Fish Oil
There are a few possible side effects of feeding fish oil to your dog, some of them are given below:
- Besides that, if your dog has GI (Gastrointestinal problems), then you have to slowly add fish oil in his diet. After feeding fish oil to your pup, if you notice any reactions, then immediately go to your vet.
- Do not use fish oils with any blood-thinning dog medicines. Omega-3 fatty acids slow the process of blood clotting. It is better to consult the vet before giving any medication to your dog.
- Furthermore, if your dog is on anti-inflammatory medication then you should not give him fish oil as it can be harmful to him.
- An excessive amount of fish oil for dogs can be dangerous for them. It can cause vomiting and stomach upset in dogs.
- Your pet will have fish oil breath if you will feed him this oil in a large amount.
I hope you like my post about “Fish Oil For Dogs”. If you want to read more related articles then you can also visit: