Baby Milestones: Every keen parent finds themselves asking many questions regarding their babies like “When will my baby sit up on their own?”, “When will my baby crawl?” or “when will my baby smile?”
So you will get every answer in this guide regarding your Baby Milestones. We are discussing an approximate timeline of what milestone you can expect from your baby to reach and when.
Moreover, babies grow and change at an amazingly rapid rate during their first year of life. Besides this, babies physical growth in weight and height, babies also go through major achievement phases, mentioned as developmental milestones.
Although, developmental milestones are easily recognizable skills that a baby can perform, for instance, sitting up, rolling over and walking.
Classifications of Baby Milestones
Typically, developmental milestones are arranged into three categories, all of them are given below:
- Language development.
- Motor Development.
- Emotional/Social Development.
Do Infants & Babies Progress at the Rate as Compared to Other Babies?
Babies tend to follow the same development through these milestones but no two babies undergo these development phases at the exact same time. Furthermore, there is a range of time when specific developmental milestones will be fulfilled. Babies also spend different amounts of times at each phase before moving on the next phase. All the babies are not the same so they grew up differently.
1-2 months Old Babies
Reflexes of your baby will be developing from the time of birth and you will notice very quickly that if you put your finger in their palm they will hold it similarly if you touch your baby’s cheek they will turn that way.
In spite of the fact that early bouts of winds are usually mistaken for a baby’s first smile. The truth is from approximate two months old baby should be able to respond to you by smiling back at you. So you have to encourage this by smile a lot at your baby and you will soon notice them smiling back at you. This is a precious milestone. They also hold their head up for short periods at an angle of 45-degrees.
If you are the parent of a new baby then you have to give your baby those foods which are healthy, tasty, yummy, and nutritious for your teething baby.
At the End of 1st Month, Most babies do the following:
- Bring hands near face
- Make quivering, jerky arm movements
- Keep hands in tight fists
- Focus on objects 8 to 12 inches away
- Move head from one side to another side while lying on stomach
- Prefer human faces over other shapes
- Recognize some sounds, including parents’ voices
- Hear very well
- Prefer black-and-white or high-contrast patterns
When Do Babies Roll Over
Although it is considered too early, some babies can start rolling as early as three (3) months old. Though, it is more when a baby is of 4-6 months. They might attempt to roll and get stuck. Therefore they get upset, so be prepared to help them out of all these uncomfortable situations!
Many parents also want to know the reason behind the fast breathing of their baby, Let me tell you, children inhale faster than grown-ups.
3-4 Months Old Babies
You can also help them to get ready to roll over by laying them down and giving them lot of encouragement by putting a toy just out to reach to see if the baby is trying and rolling to get it or not.
Moreover, babies can bear weight on their legs, they turn towards loud sounds, they recognize your voice and bring their hands together.
At the End of 3rd Month, Most babies do the following:
- Support the upper body with arms when lying on stomach
- Raise the chest and head when lying on stomach
- Stretch legs out and kick when lying on back or stomach.
- Open and shut hands
- Push down on legs when feet are placed on a firm surface
- Bring hands to mouth
- Grab and shake hand toys
- Watch faces closely
- Follow moving object with eyes
- Start using hands and eyes in coordination
- Recognize familiar objects and people at a distance
- Start using hands and eyes in coordination
- Begin to babble and to imitate some sounds
- Smile at the sound of parents’ voices
- Enjoy playing with other people
- They might cry when playing stops
5-6 months Old Baby Milestones
The time duration of your baby sleeps at night will increase to about 6-8 hours by 5-6 months old. But of course this is not the case for all the babies but you must notice longer duration of sleep at night by now.
Moreover, a baby will also be engaging with you much more by now, laughing, babbling and smiling away with you.
5-6 months of babies can also imitate sounds like “dada and mama”, they might have a cut the first tooth and might be the starting to sit without any support.
At the End of 6th Month, Most babies do the following:
- Blows bubbles, Imitates sounds
- Turns towards voices and sounds
- They are ready for solid intake.
- Start rolling in both directions.
- Recognizes own name.
- They start reaching for objects and then put them in the mouth.
Advance Skills may include:
- May drag objects towards themselves.
- Many babies may Sit without support.
- May jabber or combine syllables.
- They may start crawling
When Do Babies Sit Up
During 7-8 months your little one should be rolling around and they can now sit properly without any support. Though in the early stages, many babies will be quite wobbly and they require propping up.
Another question asked by many parents are “How To Take Baby’s Temperature?”. Taking a baby temperature might be sound simple but for a new mother, it might be possible that you have a lot of questions.
7-8 months Old Baby
Furthermore, by eight (8) months they should be heftier and able to sit up without any help.
Let your babies play more on the floor, this will help your baby practice and will eventually master it. Moreover, they might show signs of crawling so you must give them plenty of tummy time so they can build up those important muscles.
They must be mastering some of the finer motor expertise at this stage, for instance, they can pick up small toys with their side of forefinger and thumb.
Although, a baby can now stand anytime by holding on to something. They can pick objects up with one hand and then pass it to another hand.
At the End of 7th Month, Most babies do the following:
- Rollover both ways
- Reach for an object with a hand
- Sit up
- Transfer objects from one hand to another hand
- Develop a full-color vision and mature distance vision
- Support whole weight on legs when held upright
- Show an interest in mirror images
- Use voice to express displeasure and joy
- Prattle chains of consonants (ba-ba-ba-ba)
- Respond to own name
- Distinguish emotions by tone of voice
- Struggle to get objects that are out of reach
- Explore objects with hands and mouth
- Enjoy playing the peek-a-boo game
Milestones of 9-10 Months Old Babies
When your baby is 9-10 months, one must be able to clap their hands and there are few games to help them to do this which includes Pat-a-Cake.
Lots of repetition will also help your babies to copy what you do. Then your baby will also copy you when you wave to them. At this stage, they are able to associate the word “Bye” and then they wave at you by this age.
Moreover, your baby should also be a dab hand at moving between sitting and laying down. Many babies will be able to shuffle on their bottom to reach for toys. Though, it is important to note that some babies miss the shuffling phase altogether.
When Do Babies Crawl
When your baby is between 11-12 months, your little one might well be able to stand alone for a few seconds and be on their way to drink directly from a cup.
They will be able to express what they want. At this stage, this may able to understand and respond to simple instructions too.
11-12 months Old Baby Milestones
Now, your baby is one year old and cruising is the next phase of your baby. You little one will starts walking a few steps while holding on some furniture. They pull themselves to stand up and cruise around the furniture will also be a famous past time as this phase.
On their First Birthday, Most babies do the following:
- Get into a hands-and-knees position
- Sit without assistance
- Walk holding onto furniture, and possibly a few steps without support
- Pull self up to stand
- Use a pincer grasp (forefinger and thumb)
- Use exclamations, such as “oh-oh!”
- Say “dada” and “mama”
- They try to imitate words
- Use simple gestures, such as shaking head “no” and waving bye-bye
- Respond to “no” and simple verbal requests
- Explore objects in many ways (banging, shaking, dropping, throwing)
- Look at the correct picture when an image is named
- Find hidden objects easily
- Begin to use objects correctly (brushing hair, drinking from a cup)
When Do Babies Walk
Many toddlers take their first baby steps between 9-12 months. They start walking efficiently when they are 14-15 months old.
You need not worry if your baby takes a little longer times, though. Moreover, many perfectly normal kids do not start walking until they are 16-17 months old.
Frequently Ask Questions about Baby Milestones
Some frequently asked questions about baby milestones are given below:
Q-1 What are the normal Baby milestones?
Milestones of normal babies are rolling over, crawling, walking and talking. These milestones are different for each age range. Furthermore, there is a usual range in which a baby may reach every milestone. For instance, walking off a kid may start as early as he/she turns 8 months old.
Q-2 When should babies hit milestones?
You can find out when your baby may talk, walk, Grasp objects, crawl, and hit other amazing firsts from their birth to six (6) months and seven (7) to twelve (12) months. Additionally, learn when other kids reach their milestones. Then discover new “Wows!”- Worthy development Facts.
Q-3 At what age do babies laugh?
When to expect your baby to laugh: Few babies laugh out loud for the first time when they are three (3) or four (4) months old. Although the first laugh might come late for many other kids. Moreover, a baby’s first laugh may be inspired by something as simple as watching their favorite toy, person or pet.
Every parent wants the best for their child and when it comes to medical care, they want the best facilities so visit Weill Cornell Medicine for best health treatment.
If you like my article about “Baby Milestones: When do Babies Roll Over, Sit Up, Crawl & Walk” and you’re interested in reading more related articles you may visit the “Health” category at TryArticles. Please leave a comment below that how much you find this article helpful. You may also hit your queries in the comment section.