How long is the great wall of China? Since the great wall of China is the longest defensive system of the world made by humans. It is known globally as a must-see site of china. It creates curiosity among people about the exact length of this mega wall.
But this is a difficult question that even the Chinese could not answer. This is because 20 dynasties took part in the construction of this Great wall over the centuries.
In this article, we will provide a detailed guideline on how long is the great wall of China. So if you are curious to know some facts about this great wall then read the article till the end.
How Long Is The Great Wall Of China?
Chinese people do not call this a great wall of China. They call it Wan Li Chang Cheng. Literally it means ten thousand mile wall. It is about 5000 km. But the term is more of meaning saying “the endless wall”.
The exact length of this wall is a complicated question. This is because, over the dynasties, this Great Wall was built, eroded, rebuilt and extended many times. However the largest construction took place from 1368 to 1644, the Ming Dynasty, and the length was more than 6000 kilometers.
According to the National Bureau of Surveying and Mapping Agency and State Administration of Cultural Heritage in 2009, the latest data about the length of the Great Wall is 8851.8 km. It is 2000km longer than previous data.
On 5th June 2012, over 4000 technicians put an effort. After 4 years of investigation, it concluded that the length is 21,196.18 km. But the wall was built in different dynasties around northern China so the total length would exceed 50,000 km.
Facts About The Wall
- The Great Wall is listed as one of the seven wonders of the world.
- It is the longest wall on Earth.
- The Chinese name of this is “Changcheng”.
- The Great Wall located in Northern China.
- This wall crosses nine provinces of northern China.
- The length of the wall is almost 21,196.18km.
- Qin Shi Huangdi built this.
- The entire length of the wall equals half of the length of the Equator.
- Officially, the construction of the Wall ended in 1644 when the Ming Dynasty was overthrown.
- Around 10 million people per year visit the Great Wall of China.
- For binding stones and bricks, Glutinous rice was used.
- If you want to walk across the Great Wall, it will take around 18 months.
- It took 2000 years to complete the structure of the wall
- In the 19th century, it was officially named as the Great Wall of China. It was known as a barrier before.
- There is no truth about the myth that the Great Wall is visible from the Moon.
- Jiankou section is the most dangerous section of the wall.
- Beijingat Heita Mountain is the highest point of this wall.
- There are around 7000 lookout towers covering the Great wall.
- Numerous temples were built along Wall in order to worship the god of war, Guandi.
- Around 800,000 people took part in the construction of the wall.
- The gunpowder was invented by the Chinese and was used to defend the Great Wall.
- Because of erosion, some sections of the great wall may disappear in the next 20 years.
- It is a belief of Chinese people that the wall is a personification of the Chinese dragon.
- During the manufacturing of this wall one million males died.
- It is one of the most expensive constructions globally.
- It is prohibited to take out bricks from the Great Wall of China.
- In 1987, UNESCO declared the Great Wall of China as a World Heritage site.
- The lowest point of the Great Wall is Laolongtou
- Parts of the wall are so wide that you can drive a car inside.
If you are planning to visit China then The Great Wall of China is a must-see. It is the longest man-made wall in the world. Besides, it is listed in the seven wonders of the World.
I hope you like my post about how long is the Great Wall of China. If you have any queries or want to share your opinion then write it down in the comments section. we will be waiting to hear from you. You can also read: