If you are the owner of the dog, then you should know that chocolate is not good for your dog. One thing every dog owner should contemplate is how much chocolate will kill a dog. Everything in excess is bad, but an excess of chocolate can even kill your dog.
Chocolate is also considered as an energy drink or medicine for humans. Also, useful for removing anxiety in people. But chocolate is hazardous for dogs. However, its poisonous effect varies and depends on the size of the animal, and type of chocolate it is eating.
Every good owner must know all the details about the safety level of chocolate for dogs. The poison level of chocolate can be different, depends on the weight of your pet. They should keep this into consideration that more than a specific amount of chocolate can be hostile to your dog.
Dog Chocolate Poisoning
Everyone has chocolates in their homes, people love to eat chocolate. But chocolate can cause indigestion, itching, and migraines to your dog. It can also give it kidney stones.
Yes, it indeed provides health benefits to humans, but it doesn’t mean it is also healthy for dogs. It contains methylxanthines drug inside it, which is deadly for your dogs.
There are many varieties of chocolates. From milk chocolate to dark chocolate, the level and amount of cocoa vary. A large amount of caffeine present in chocolate can cause indigestion and itching in dogs.
Dogs nervous and kidney system is different from human beings. Exceed the amount of chocolate can result in vomiting and muscle tremors in dogs.
Famine scavenger nature inside a dog can be very dangerous for them. They usually don’t give up until the food is finish. This nature can make your puppy more in danger in front of chocolates. Whenever they will find chocolate in front of them, most likely they won’t stop eating until it’s done.
Why Chocolate is Toxic to Dogs?
Chocolate contains cocoa, caffeine, methylxanthines, and theobromine inside it. They all are deadly drugs for dogs. Theobromine is a toxic chemical inside chocolates. Dogs may show symptoms of intoxication even after 15 mg of theobromine for every pound they weigh.
It can affect the health of your dog, causing many problems such as indigestion, itching, kidney problems, vomiting, tremor, diarrhea, increased urination, abnormal heart rate, restlessness, seizures, and sudden death.
To measure the poisonous effect the amount of chocolate consumed depends on the size of your animal.
Here’s the list of most toxic chocolates for dogs.
- Cocoa powder
- Baker’s chocolate
- Milk chocolate
- Dark chocolate
- White chocolate
- Sweet cocoa
How Much Chocolate will Kill a Dog?
Because of chocolate’s great taste, people think that their pets will also enjoy eating it. But who knows it can be deadly for your pet if given in exceed amount. It depends on the cocoa level present in chocolate and the type of chocolate.
Let us discuss some most common chocolate types and how much amount of it can be deadly for dogs.
The amount of cocoa in white chocolate is very less. If your dog’s weight is 250 pounds, then the effects of poisoning can be visible after taking 200 ounces of white chocolate.
Although white chocolate is free of theobromine. Still, it is not recommended for dogs because it contains high-fat elements.
- 22g of white chocolate is poisonous for 3 to 4 kg of dog.
- 49g of white chocolate is poisonous for 6 to 8 kg of dog.
- 120g of white chocolate is poisonous for 16 to 23 kg of a dog.
- 221g of white chocolate is poisonous for 30 to 35 kg of a dog.
- 456g of white chocolate is poisonous for 57 to 89 kg of a dog.
The level of cocoa in milk chocolate is higher than white chocolate. It can be dangerous after taking just one ounce per pound of weight of your pet. This means only 2 ounces of milk chocolate can be deadly for your 10-pound dog.
Simply taking two to three bars of chocolate can kill your dog. In the market, even medium-size chocolate contains 2/3 ounce of milk chocolate in it.
- 27g of milk chocolate is poisonous for 3 to 4 kg of dog.
- 53g of milk chocolate is poisonous for 6 to 8 kg of dog.
- 140g of milk chocolate is poisonous for 16 to 23 kg of a dog.
- 261g of milk chocolate is poisonous for 30 to 35 kg of a dog.
- 496g of milk chocolate is poisonous for 57 to 89 kg of a dog.
As we have discussed before, cocoa is very dangerous for dogs. Only taking 1/6 ounce of sweet cacao can be deadly to a 10-pound dog. 1/3 ounce can be risky for 20-pound dogs.
- 25g of sweet cacao is poisonous for 3 to 4 kg of dog.
- 50g of sweet cacao is poisonous for 6 to 8 kg of dog.
- 136g of sweet cacao is poisonous for 16 to 23 kg of a dog.
- 256g of sweet cacao is poisonous for 30 to 35 kg of a dog.
- 494g of sweet cacao is poisonous for 57 to 89 kg of a dog.
Baking chocolate is very common and can easily kill your pup. It contains a higher level of cocoa than sweet cacao. 2 ounces of baking chocolate is, deadly for a 20-pound dog. 1 ounce of baking chocolate is enough for poisoning a 10-pound dog.
- 20g of baking chocolate is poisonous for 3 to 4 kg of dog.
- 42 g of baking chocolate is poisonous for 6 to 8 kg of dog.
- 126g of baking chocolate is poisonous for 16 to 23 kg of a dog.
- 226g of baking chocolate is poisonous for 30 to 35 kg of a dog.
- 464g of baking chocolate is poisonous for 57 to 89 kg of a dog.
Dark chocolate is the most dangerous chocolates for dogs. It contains the highest level of cocoa inside. 1.5g of dark chocolate is enough to poison a 20-pound dog.
11g of dark chocolate is poisonous for 3 to 4 kg of dog.
22g of dark chocolate is poisonous for 6 to 8 kg of dog.
56g of dark chocolate is poisonous for 16 to 23 kg of a dog.
109g of dark chocolate is poisonous for 30 to 35 kg of a dog.
206g of milk chocolate is poisonous for 57 to 89 kg of dog.
This shows that the bigger size of dogs can consume, a large amount of chocolate as compared to the small size of a dog. As the owner of your dog, it is your responsibility to keep notice of your dog food. You should know what amount of chocolate is deadly for your dog.
List of Dog Chocolate Poisoning Symptoms
Too much chocolate can poison your dog. Below I mentioned some symptoms that indicate chocolate poisoning for dogs.
- Kidney stones
- Increased Urination
- Abnormal heart rate
- Increase blood pressure
- Dangerous arrhythmias
- Sudden death
What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate?
When you realize that your dog is poisoned by chocolate, your priority should be to eliminate the toxic element as soon as possible. It is a good idea to make your dog vomit. Then, spit out all the toxic agents. Otherwise, take your pet to the doctor for proper treatment.
How to Make a Dog Vomit after eating a Chocolate?
Ipecac syrup is poison control but, do not use it for your animals. It can be toxic for your dog. First, consult your pet’s doctor before giving Ipecac syrup. If you got no choice in an emergency then you can only give one teaspoon of Ipecac syrup to your dog.
Hydrogen peroxide is an effective and safe way to make your dog vomit. If your dog is 20 pounds then, 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide are good for it. It will take at least 20 minutes to show its result. If you feel it is not affecting your dog, then you are allowed to give hydrogen peroxide up to three times in a row.
Activated Charcoal mixed water can be also good for dogs. It is anti-poison and prevents poisons to expand in the body. One teaspoon of activated charcoal is enough for a 20-pound dog.
After eating the excess chocolate, it is better to make it vomit within twenty-four hours. You should visit the doctor if symptoms may continue up.
How to Keep your Dog Safe from Eating Chocolate?
Below we have mentioned some rules and tactics to keep your dog safe from eating chocolate.
- First of all, hide all the chocolates present in your home from your dog.
- Warn your family or children not to give chocolate to the dog.
- Keep the notice of your dog eatables.
- Train your dog not be handy and listens to your commands in this type of situation.
- Sign of poisonous symptoms will appear in 5 to 10 hours. It is good to induce vomiting within one hour of ingestion.
When you find symptoms of chocolate poisoning in your dog, do not wait for anything and do everything possible to vomit. It will be wise on your part not to share a small amount of chocolate with your dog, as it can cause a medical emergency. In case of an emergency, contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.