There are a lot of stories about “How to Break a fever” on the internet, some of them are true while some are just stories. If fever is making you or your family member uncomfortable, there are many ways that you can try to break a fever down and also a lot of things which you should avoid in such a situation. We will discuss all these methods in this article.
What is a fever? Fever is basically a temporary increase in the temperature of your body. The normal body temperature is 98.6F. Some case studies proved that not everyone’s normal body temperature is the same. There is a limit of normal body temperature above which the temperature will be considered as fever. Flu could be one of the reasons of fever so you should also take some precautions for treatment.
How to Break a Fever
How fever is good? Fever itself is not a dangerous disease for health but maybe become the reason for the big problems. Fever occurs when the body is fighting against the infection. The internal body temperature is increased as a defense mechanism, make the body hot enough so the germ won’t survive. So in this way, the fever is a good thing.
It is also true that during fever person become dull and feel terrible, just want to be comfortable as possible.
Children deal much better than an adult with fever. If they have a fever but still they playing and they think they are fine, no need to try anything to bring down the temperature.
If someone is suffering from fever, then follow these steps:
- Check your temperature with a thermometer, if the temperature is above 100.4F, then you have a fever.
- Stay in bed and rest.
- Drink more water, because fever may cause dehydration in the body so to avoid that you need to drink cool liquids and they also help to cool off your body.
- Remove extra layers of clothes even when cold.
- Take a bath.
- Put cool packs under the arm.
Causes Of Fever
Fever can be caused by a number of factors. Among them, few are listed below:
- Some medications.
- An infection, such as strep throat, chickenpox, flu.
- Silicosis- it is lung disease.
- Overexposure of skin to sunlight.
- The common cold.
- Amphetamine abuse.
- Alcohol withdrawal.
- Gastrointestinal infections.
- Immune reactions to childhood vaccinations.
- Localized infections, such as in the skin, ears.
Symptoms Of Fever
The normal temperature of the body is 98F, the temperature above this level is the fever. There are also some signs and symptoms of fever like other diseases have, some common symptoms are mentioned below.
- Chills and shivering
- Have a headache
- Muscle aches
- Feel Weak
- Loss of appetite
- Not want to eat
- Be restless
Types Of Fever
Fever can be divided into several types according to their duration, identifying the type of fever may help in better treatment. Types of fever are given below.
- Continuous fever: The condition in which the temperature remains above the normal body temperature throughout the 24 hours time and not fluctuate more than 1 Celsius. Such type of fever is called Continous Fever.
- Remittent fever: The condition in which the temperature remains above the normal body temperature throughout the 24 hours time and fluctuate more than 2 Celsius. Such type of fever is called Remittent fever.
- Pel Ebstein fever: This kind of fever probably take 3 days to rise, remain high for 3 days and then go down after 3 days.
- Intermittent fever: In such a situation the temperature increases above the normal temperature only for a few hours a day. Same time fever repeat for a few days in the same pattern.
Treatments of Fever
Fever is a harmless disease itself, as it is the part of the body which fight against the germs. But a high fever can be dangerous for health. There are many kinds of treatment which may help you in overcoming the fever. They can be categorized in Medical intervention and Home Remedies. During fever body become weak so you should maintain your diet by eating healthy food and drinking any type of Tea.
You can try a few things to break the fever. Common home remedies are listed below with a brief explanation.
- Check Your Temperature: The first thing you need to do after feeling sick or having a fever, take a thermometer and check your temperature. Monitor the temperature for a few hours and make sure that the temperature is not increasing. The normal fever is good for the body and if the temperature is not increasing, then no need to worry, you will be fine within a few days.
- Remove Extra Layers Of Clothes: A simple method to break a fever is to remove the extra layers of clothes. Avoid the use of blanket or clothes made of wool or fabrics. Head and feet are capable of losing heat, so remember never cover your feet with socks or head with the cap.
- Take a Cool Bath: If you feel like you are suffering from fever, then take a cool bath to lower the body temperature. Take the bath for about 10-15 minutes. The alternative taking is bath is, take a clean cloth, dip it in cool water, squeeze it and apply it to the forehead. After 20 minutes, do this process again and repeat until the fever comes down.
- Drink Water: In case of fever, you lose more water in the form of perspiration, so drink more water in fever to complete the limit in the body. If you are used to drinking 8 glasses of water in a normal routine, increase it up to 12 glasses in fever. Fruit or vegetable juices are a much better idea because they contain sodium, which lost during sweating. Avoid the use of alcoholic and caffeinated beverages because maybe they can flush the skin and make you feel warmer.
- Rest: You need to rest for a few days because any activity during fever may raise your body temperature.
- Sit Near Fan: It will be better to sit near the fan in fever because more cool air will be circulating around the body.
When to See the Doctor
When to visit the Doctor in fever depend upon the age. Fever can’t be left untreated. So you must visit a doctor if the temperature is increased by its normal range.
Children up to three months old should be seen by the doctor if they have a temperature of 100.4 F or above.
If the temperature increases above 102 F in babies of age 3-6 months old then they should be seen by the doctor.
Children above the 6 months old, who have the fever of 102 or above need to take medicine under the doctors’ supervision.
Children ages 2-17 years old don’t need any medicine to reduce the temperature under 102 F. If the fever goes above 102F then they must use medicine to overcome the temperature. If still, they are not getting well then you should consult to doctor.
Adults above 18 don’t need any medicine for a fever under 102F temperature, but above it, they should use medication. Adults should seek medical attention in the situation as a stiff neck, pain anywhere in the body, shortness of breath.
Fever is not bad for health but up to some limit, above that limit, it must be treated. Fever caused basically when body fight against the germs, causing diseases in the body, So in response, the internal body temperature increased to kill those germs.
During temperature, you need to rest and avoid the activities, maybe they increase the temperature. Drink Cool water more than the normal routine. Take a cool bath. Remove the extra layers of clothes and sit near the fan. If still the temperature is not coming down then you should visit the doctor.
If you are living in Washington or near Places then visit Washington Hospital Healthcare System or you can also take NYC Health + Hospitals services as it is the largest public health care system in the United States.
I hope you like my article about “How to Break a Fever” You can also visit some other interesting posts like “How Long Does The Flu Last? Symptoms & Treatments“. For more related articles you may visit the “Health” category at Try Articles. Please leave a comment below that how much you find this article helpful. You may also hit your queries in the comment section below if any.