An electric blanket is a soft cover that provides comfort, at the same time it emits a heat that helps in healing the wounds. The single problem with it is, difficult to wash after using for a season. Here, we will explore “How to wash an electric blanket?”
The modern electric blankets can easily be washed and dried in standard residential washers. Well, it is recommended to wash a new blanket before using it. There are some precautions that you should know before going to washing it.
You should know that washing and drying electric blanket is different from other normal blankets. Because an electric blanket contains many integrated electric wires, so you should be careful while washing it at home.
What is an Electric Blanket?
An electric blanket is a kind of mat, that is made from strong material with internal wiring. These wires produce heat and warmth. As by the name, it is an electric blanket, so it needs to be connected with the electrical outlet.
Polyester and acrylic are used while making the electric linens. This helps in preventing fire hazards. You can also set the heat level. Most of the electric blanket comes with the three heat levels. The heat level is controlled with the help of the attached remote.
Things To Do Before Washing Electric Blanket
Before introducing the blanket to any water source, make sure that all the cables and power cords are removed. For this reason, the latest models of electric blanket come with the waterproof internal wiring.
This is important because it will not only save the linen from damage but also it will prevent the electrical surge in the water.
How To Wash An Electric Blanket?
An electric blanket offers additional warmth that feels great on a chilly evening. It is quite useful for a person who is suffering from illness or recovering from injuries. When it becomes soiled or smell funky, then it needs to be washed.
Due to its large size and electric wires, maybe you feel it difficult to wash. It is not like that difficult. You can wash it easily at home, just follow the instruction given below. There are two methods to wash an electric blanket.
Let me clear one thing that these electric blankets are designed in such a way that you can wash them easily with hands or in the washing machine.
Below are the 2 methods through which you can wash the electric blanket.
#1- Hand Wash
You can wash the electric linen by hand at home. You just need to follow the below steps to properly remove the dust.
- Make sure that all the wires are disconnected from the source. It is important as it will save from fire hazards during the washing process.
- Fill the tub with lukewarm water. Lukewarm water is important because cold or too hot water will damage the internal wiring.
- Add the correct amount of laundry detergent into the water. Remember that a high quantity of detergent may affect the internal component.
- Create the sudsy foam in water through cycling the detergent with your hand. Do not put blanket before this step.
- Now add the blanket in the water and let it for 15-20 minutes.
- Gently squeeze the dirty section of the blanket to remove the dust.
- Finally, its time to dry the electric bedspread. Never use the dryer for drying purpose.
#2- Machine Wash
Well, if you can’t wash the blanket with hands, you have this choice. Follow the below steps to wash the blanket safely.
- First, make sure that all the wires are disconnected from the source. It is important as it will save from fire hazards during the washing process.
- Add lukewarm water and detergent in the washing machine.
- Now set the washer to a gentle cycle.
- Its time to dry the electric bedspread. Remember that never use the dryer for drying blanket as it will damage it.
Below are some storage tips, that may be helpful for you.
- Check for the loose wires, if found, repair it as soon as possible.
- Make sure that the blanket is completely dry before storing it.
- Remember that never fold it, just roll it.
- Also, store the cords and control with it.
- Place the blanket in a dry place, it will be better to pack it in a plastic container.
- Never use bleach or any king of cleaning fluid.
- Don’t iron the blanket after washing it.
- Never use any kind of spray on your electric blanket.
- Never put the controller in the water.
I hope you like my article about “how to wash an electric blanket”. You can also visit some other interesting posts like: