Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is characterized by long-term abnormal behavior that includes self-importance, lack of empathy and excessive need for pride. Narcissistic people are often considered as a selfish and arrogant thinker. They are involved in self-loving activities and need excessive love and compliments from others.
Do you often notice a person with narcissistic traits? It is very interesting to know about narcissistic personality disorder. Here at Tryarticles, I have discussed the symptoms, causes, and treatments of this disorder.
Causes, Symptoms, And Treatment Of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
A narcissistic personality disorder can be severe to destroy the personality of a person. This condition impacts women differently from men. 6.2% American adults are suffering from this disorder. Gender conflicts may present in this order. 7.7% men suffer from this order.
Among women, the women of Africa and America have highest chances of NPD. There is a story behind the narcissistic personality disorder. Narcissus was the son of river god Cephissus and nymph Liriope. He was so proud to reject the people who loved him.
His enemy noticed his behavior and called him to a pool where he could saw his reflection. He saw his own reflection and fell in love with it.
Causes of NPD are following.
Causes Of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
People with narcissistic personality disorder considered themselves more deserving and superior than others but the cause of their delusions and self-loving behavior is the feeling of insecurity and low self-esteem. Following causes can influence the chances of NPD in people.
- Childhood experiences play a very important role in the development of narcissistic personality disorder.
- Genetics contribute to initiating the symptoms of NPD in people. In China, a recent study shows that inheritance is the major cause of this disorder in people.
- Environmental factors can also cause any disorder in people which lead to mental illness. Society and parenting styles are also very important. Three types of dysfunctional parenting can cause mental illness and disorders in the child. These types are authoritarian parenting, indulgent or permissive parenting, and pathological or abusive parenting.
- Emotional abuse or trauma can also cause the feeling of low self-esteem in people that can cause NPD.
Symptoms Of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
People with NPD may live in fantasy. They have their own imaginary world where they can do all the things what they want. They lack the empathic behavior towards others. The specific symptoms can arise in people with NPD and these symptoms can server with long-term abnormal behavior. The symptoms of NPD are following.
- Grandiose Sense Of Self-importance: The people with NPD often have a grandiose sense of self-importance. They feel talented and superior to others. They want praise and glamour only for themselves. These people also want the respect and importance from everyone in the society. Grandiosity also occurs in manic episodes.
- The World Of Fantasy: Narcissistic people have their own world of fantasy where they can fulfill the need for praise and respect from others. This symptom can be severe for these people because it leads to losing the contact with reality. The thoughts and thinking of people with NPD can change into imaginations.
- Need For Praise And Admiration: The need for praise and admiration is the main symptom of narcissistic personality disorder. This behavior creates a fantasy in people who suffer from NPD.
- Believes That He or She Is “Special” And Unique: People with NPD strickly believe that they are unique than others. The self-loving behavior forces a person with this disorder to think that he or she is more superior and unique.
- Jealous Of Others: People with NPD often get jealous of others. They think that they are more superior and intelligent than others so everyone could be jealous of them. This irrational thinking about jealousy is also a symptom of narcissistic personality disorder.
- Regularly Shows Arrogant, Haughty Behaviors Or Attitudes: The people with NPD regularly show their self-loving and ignorant behavior towards others. They show their careless behavior and lack of empathy that can force a person to think negative about them.
- Lack Empathic Behavior Toward Others: The people with NPD often lack empathic behavior towards other due to their self-loving activities. They only love their own self and didn’t show empathy for other people.
Treatments Of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
In NPD person may feel personal fragmentation and need to pretend as important in the front of others. The sense of superiority cannot make them relax in every situation. Their mental illness may lead to the physical illness. Treatments can overcome the severity of this disorder in people.
A psychologist may try to recover his patient step by step from this disorder. Many treatments and approaches to this disorder are discovered that apply as well to borderline personality disorder.
- Individual Psychotherapy for Narcissistic Personality Disorder: The therapist knows the psyche of a person who suffers from narcissistic personality disorder. He also helps the patient to re-develop his self-esteem and self-image.The therapist can work with a client in a safe and confidential environment where the client can freely share his problems with a therapist. Talk therapy also included in this treatment. A good therapist can help a client to cope with unusual patterns of behavior and feelings.
- Group Therapy: The main goal of this therapy is individuality so that a person can consider himself different from others and can truly discover himself. This therapy helps a client to overcome the sense of defeating. Development of empathy is also included in this therapy for the people with NPD. These people face an issue in maintaining their self-worth.
- Hospitalization: Hospitalization may refer to the patients who suffer from severe symptoms of NPD and loss the self-image and reality contact. Patients with self-destructive activities can admit in hospitals for proper treatment. Many other disorders like borderline personality disorder can mix with this disorder in patients who admit in hospitals. A therapist can work on a patient to cope with physical or emotional abuse.
If you like my article about,“Narcissistic Personality Disorder: Causes, Symptoms, And Treatment” and you are interested in reading more related articles you may visit the Psychology category at TryArticles. Please leave a comment below that how much this article is beneficial for you. You may also hit your queries in the comment section below.