Pets often spoil your new dresses with their urine. It is even more embarrassing when cat urine produces bad odor from your precious clothes. Of course, no one of us will like to have a bad odor from our clothes. These preventive methods to remove cat urine odor from clothes will make your life smooth.
We will be explaining several simple methods that can help you to get rid of cat urine from your clothes. It should be noted that it is not easy to remove the urine odor of cats especially when it gets dried.
How to Remove Cat Urine Odor?
Removing cat urine from clothes is a time-consuming and difficult process but it can be made simple using the below-mentioned methods. You can also apply these methods for removing other types of urine. To apply below-mentioned methods, you will require the following materials:
- Paper Towels
- Baking Soda (Optional)
- Oxygen Bleach
- Enzyme Detergent
- White Vinegar
First Step: Pre-treating
It is not a good idea to dispose of urine-stained clothes or wash them in your washing machine. If you are a pet owner then you might have realised that urine-stained clothes transfer the urine odor to your whole laundry.
Read More: How Often Can I Apply Revolution To My Cat?
Therefore, it is always recommended to pre-treat the urine-stained clothes first.
- Use cold and clean water to rinse out urine spots.
- Use paper towels to blot the stained area for removing as much urine as possible.
- Add half cup of oxygen bleach in a water-filled tub. Avoid using traditional chlorine bleach.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly and soak urine-stained clothes in the mixture for up to four hours.
Second Step: Vinegar Wash
Use a two-part cleaning process for the best results. The two-part cleaning process will easily remove stains and bad odor from your clothes. The first part of this thorough cleaning process is Vinegar wash. Here are the steps that you should follow:
- Add one cup of white vinegar into three cups of water. Soak the urine-stained clothes in the mixture for a few minutes.
- Put baking soda on the stained area. The mixture will absorb cat urine odor.
- Wash clothes in the washing machine and make sure not to use detergent and warm water.
- Get the clothes out of the washing machine and let them dry in air. Do not use the clothes dryer because urine stain will stick permanently due to heat.
Third Step: Laundering
The above-mentioned steps might have helped you in removing bad odor from your clothes. Now, you can use the traditional washing methods to wash your clothes.
- Add enzyme-based detergent in cold water and wash your urine-stained clothes.
- Now, air-dry the clothes again and make sure your clothes get dry completely. Smell the clothes for possible bad odor, if the odor is still there then repeat the third step again.
Consider the Health of Your Cat:
To avoid similar problems in the future, you should monitor your cat’s health and see why your cat is peeing on laundry. You must take it seriously because there might be something wrong with your cat’s health.
Make sure to consult your vet, there might be a problem with your cat’s urinary tract which makes your cat avoid peeing in the litter box. You should inform your vet about the behavior of your cat if your vet sees something wrong in your cat’s behavior.
Haven’t Removed Cat Urine Odor?
If you still smell the bad odor in your house even after washing your clothes then you need to track your cat’s movement. You need to check the footprints of your cat on the floor, furniture, or any other area in your home.
Get a black light and make sure to research cat footprints at night. The reason is that blacklight works better in darkness. Then, use lights to scan the floor, wall, and furniture for possible urine stains. The urine stains will glow in white color, use chalk or paper to mark urine stains.
Read More: How To Train a Cat?
After identifying the urine stains on the wall, floor, and furniture, you need to use products to remove cat urine odor. After a thorough cleaning, you will find your home clean and full of fragrance like it was ever before.
Cat urine odor smells embarrassing especially when it is from your clothes. Most people prefer to dispose of their clothes because they don’t know how to get cat pee out of clothes. Often, people use detergents or wash their clothes in warm water which further strengthens the urine stains.
Read More: Why Are Cats Afraid of Cucumber?
If you are the one who does not know how to get rid of cat urine odor then these simple steps will make it easy for you to get rid of cat urine smell from clothes.
I have also tried to explain a simple method which will help you in identifying and removing urine stains from clothes, furniture, and wall in your home.