Water is one of the essentials of life. Without water, there would be no life on this globe, either in form of humans, animals or plants. All these life forms need water for their survival. Water is necessary not only for drinking, cooking, washing, gardening etc. but it is also required in form of moisture in the air. For a smooth life, a certain level of moisture is required in the air, which is also referred to as the humidity.
Moisture or humidity up to a bearable extent in the air is therefore as necessary as the air itself. Humidity level below that desirable point is not feasible for life, as is the case with the higher level of humidity. The tolerable level of humidity in the air is considered to be between 30 to 50%, with 40% being the ideal level.
The humidity level in the air, less than 30% is considered to be dry condition whereas more than 50% is rated as a humid atmosphere. In fact, both these conditions are not considered to be good for human health.
While dry atmosphere also has its impact on human health, the humid atmosphere affects our daily life in so many ways. Apart from having a bad effect on health, humid conditions also spoil our house, buildings, wooden furniture, steel items, clothes and almost every precious belongings in a household. Consistent humid conditions may also result in mold on almost everywhere in your house, if left unnoticed.
Therefore, getting rid of humidity from your house is the essential part of your house upkeep. Here we are suggesting some useful tricks to remove humidity from your house.
Causes Of Humidity
There may be several reasons why your house gets humid. Here is some major causes that makes your house humid beyond the tolerable level.
- Weather conditions in your area are the major cause of creating humidity inside your house. If you are living in an area where there is heavy rainfall or if you living near a river, lake or sea, there is every possibility that your home may catch humidity beyond the desirable level.
- Lack of ventilation in your house or poor ventilation may also cause excessive humidity in your house.
- If you keep doors and windows in your house, always closed or open them occasionally, your house is the ideal place for getting affected by excessive humidity.
- Excessive use of the window or split type air conditioners with doors and windows always closed, also causes humidity in that particular area.
- If you do not use exhaust fans in your kitchen or washrooms, these places also get humid.
- Indoor plants are also one of the major causes of humidity, as is the case with hanging wet clothes inside the house for drying them.
In addition to the above, there may be several other reasons that may end up with excessive humidity in your house.
How To Get Rid Of Humidity?
An ideal situation should be that where you do not permit humidity to go beyond a certain level in your house. But when it catches your house, you need to get rid of it as soon as possible so that you may save your precious belongings and health of your family. Here are some effective tricks for doing that.
These are the best choice for effective removal of humidity from your house. There are so many types of such dehumidifiers. You may choose one according to your budget. But basically, these are of three types depending on the way how they work.
These are made up of natural absorbent materials. Considered best for cold areas. Being small in size, can be placed easily at any place in your home to absorb moisture from the air. The best thing about these dehumidifiers is that they don’t produce water; rather they absorb it.
These are the dehumidifiers that convert the humidity into water through condensation. These are the best for the areas where the level of humidity is much higher. It is also very effective in hot areas. However, you have to clear the condensed water regularly from the device for its optimum performance.
This type of dehumidifiers are for local use. You can use them in restrictive areas, such as a room or just in a closet.
All these are readily available in any superstore in your area. You may select one of a reputable brand.
More Tricks To Remove Humidity From Your Home
In addition to the, above there are many other little tricks which may go a long way in removing humidity from your house.
- If you are living in an area which is prone to high humidity level in the atmosphere, it is highly recommended that you should not hang wet clothes for drying, inside your home. Start hanging such clothes in outdoors, such as garden or veranda and you will feel the difference instantly. You can also opt for drying your clothes using spinners and dryers.
- Often you face a situation where cabinets and cupboards in your house are badly damaged due to excessive humidity. Place a small container filled with rock salt in a safe corner in these cabinets. This salt has the ability to absorb moisture from the air. This is an effective trick to remove humidity from your cupboards. However, the salt has to be replaced regularly (once in a month).
- Washrooms are the places that are highly prone to get maximum humidity. The best way to prevent or get rid of humidity in washrooms, is to leave the windows open after every use. Additionally, you may also use exhaust fans in your washrooms to throw out the humid air.
- Same trick may also be used for kitchens. Whenever you use your kitchen for cooking, switch on the exhaust fans and leave the windows open quite for a while after the cooking.
- Use of exhaust fans and leaving the windows open can also be applied in other parts of the house.
- For the residents of colder areas, one best trick is to use heaters in the house. In addition to providing you a cozy temperature inside the room, heaters help decrease the humidity level.
- Some devices and gadgets used in daily household drip water or moisture by default, such as air conditioners and refrigerators. Try to keep the drip pans of such devices dry, by throwing away the accumulated water. This will help a lot in reducing the humidity in your house.
- Don’t place plants inside your house. Try to shift them out in the open air.
- If you are facing the problem with condensation of water on windows, you can get rid of it easily. Soak a sponge in salted water and let it dry naturally. This will leave sponge filled with salt. Place it near the window and it will absorb the condensed water from window pans.
- In acute cases of humidity in houses, consider replacing carpets with marble floors. This will go a long way in reducing moisture level inside your rooms.
If you like my article about ‘Tricks To Remove Humidity From Your Home‘ and you’re interested in reading more related articles you may visit the ‘Household‘ category at TryArticles. Please leave a comment below that how much you find this article helpful. You may also hit your queries in the comment section below if any.