You may have observed that some people eat a lot but do not gain weight, whereas some people are inclined to gaining weight, even if they do not eat much. Similarly, some people apparently look quite fit, even if they do not do exercises regularly but in some cases, it may be opposite. Most important factor behind this behavior of body, is Metabolism.
What is Metabolism? Not going into the technical definition, metabolism is the breakdown of food, we intake, to make it usable by the body to provide energy and build body tissues. It is a chemical process within the body, which takes place in two parts, Catabolism and Anabolism.
Catabolism is the process, which breaks the food, making it digestible, thus enabling the nutrients to go, where body requires. Anabolism is the process, where disintegrated food or nutrients is utilized to build the body tissues.
The rate of Metabolism is measured as the Basal Metabolic Rate. If our body breaks down the food, at a faster rate, it is rated at fast metabolism, whereas in slow metabolism, the body takes more time to disintegrate the food. Therefore, in fast metabolism, you are inclined to be underweight, whereas, in case of slow metabolism, you may gain weight more than normal.
Apparently, it looks as if the people having fast metabolism should be healthier but practically, they may have a lot of health issues. Let us see, how you can determine if you have a fast metabolism.
Effect Of Fast Metabolism On Your Body
It is not necessary that every person having fast metabolism may experience the same type of effects or symptoms on his body, such as high body temperature, consistent hungriness, irregular menstruation in females or being underweight. However, one or more out of these symptoms may occur, if you are a victim of Fast Metabolism.
- Consistent Hungriness – If you feel hungry throughout the day, even after taking regular meals at regular intervals, you may be the person having a fast metabolism. Such people often feel hungry, even immediately after taking the meals. If so, this is the case of peak level fast metabolism.
- Higher Body Temperature – People suffering from fast metabolism, often experience this condition. Their body temperature remains high; in result their body remains hot and they sweat more than the normal people.
- Irregular Menstruation – This is a common symptom in growing up girls if they have a fast metabolism. The girls on the edge of puberty may experience this condition. Reason? Due to the fast metabolism, there is the lesser amount of body fat in them, which is required to start or continue the cycles regularly.
- Underweight – Body mass index or commonly known as BMI, is the indicator of one’s being overweight or underweight. The BMI chart is frequently available everywhere; you may consult it to know what should be your body weight, considering your age and height. If your weight is less than the desired BMI, you may be a victim of the fast metabolism.
The above-mentioned conditions may be the indicators of one’s having the fast metabolism but remember these symptoms can also occur due to some other medical issue in your body. So, having one or more than one symptoms out of these does not necessarily mean that you have the fast metabolism. To get a clear picture, you may go for proper blood test.
Causes Of Fast Metabolism
There may be various reasons, why your body has a fast metabolism but the most common reason may be thyroids or more precisely the hyperthyroidism. Due to abnormal behavior, your body may start producing thyroid hormones in excess than the normal. This may result in fast metabolism in most cases. A person having hyperthyroidism may experience, dizziness, fatigue, excessive sweating, fast heartbeat, sleeping problems, irregular bowels, trembling of hands and rapidly swinging mood.
Want To Slow Down Your Metabolism Rate?
To slow down the rate of metabolism in your body, you may adopt various habits such as:
- Selection of right diet – When having the fast metabolism, your body consumes the calories more than the normal. So, to mitigate its effect, take food that contains more calories. You may need 500 extra calories a day. Select the food that may provide you at least 500 more calories in a day.
- Select food that has slow metabolism rate – There are certain food items that metabolize slowly, such as meat, nuts and most of the dairy products. Make these items a regular part of your meals.
- Avoid hard work after meals – When you do hard work or hard exercise immediately after the meals, the food is digested immediately with the fast metabolism. The more you do hard work or exercise, the more calories your body consumes. So, avoid hard works, immediately after taking the meals. Also, try to reduce the duration of your daily exercises.
- Reduce your sleep duration – If you reduce the duration of your sleep time, a little, the cortisol level is increased in your body, ultimately slowing down the metabolism rate.
Important: The above precautions are for slowing down the metabolism rate if it is on a relatively higher side. However, be careful about any possible side effects. It is highly recommended to consult the physician to avoid any negativity.
If you like my article about ‘How to Tell if you have a Fast Metabolism?’ and you’re interested in reading more related articles you may visit the ‘Sport‘ category. Please leave a comment below that how much you find this article helpful. You may also hit your queries in the comment section below if any.