What is calamari? Calamari is an Italian word used for “squid.” In the United States, it generally refers to a deep-fried and battered appetizer. It is served in restaurants and bars. Also, some people use it interchangeably with the squid.
This article will provide you a detailed guideline on what is calamari and how it is cooked. So if you are ready to know about this delicious food then read the article till the end.
What Is Calamari?
There are more than 300 species of squid living in the world’s ocean. However, fewer than a dozen are used for culinary in the entire global market. Squid can range in length varying from 1 inch up to 80 feet, but most used squid measure less than 12 inches.
In many Asian countries such as China, Thailand, Japan, and Taiwan, squid is grilled thoroughly and sold at food stalls and stands. You can find heavily spiced squid in stir-fries, rice and noodle dishes in Chinese and Southeast Asian cuisine.
What Does Calamari Taste Like?
The meat is white and firm with a mild, slightly sweet, almost nutty flavor.
Often small fried squids are firm and chewy however they should not be rubbery. Usually, fried calamari gets served with a garlic or a marinara sauce for dipping.
How To Store Calamari?
Unlike a lot of seafood, you can freeze squid really well. You can buy it in frozen form at the grocery store, or clean fresh squid and freeze it in zip-top freezer bags.
It lasts for a couple of months if you let it stay solidly frozen. You can also store cooked squid in the refrigerator for a couple of days. However, deep-fried calamari tastes best when consumed immediately.
Nutrition And Benefits Of Calamari
Just like many kinds of seafood, squid contains many nutrients. It includes proteins and significant levels of selenium, zinc, and vitamin B12.
However, deep-fried squid includes high levels of saturated fat, sodium, and cholesterol. Other dishes that include squids, such as pasta, paella, soups, and salads, maybe a bit easier on the waistline.
- 1 lb cut in rings, cleaned calamari tubes
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
- vegetable or canola oil for deep frying
- marinara sauce, lemon wedges, or aioli, for serving, optional
- First, place the calamari into a bowl. Add the lemon juice and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Lemon juice will tenderize the calamari.
- Preheat the oil to 375 degrees F. For this you can use either a deep fryer or a large cast-iron pot, but no more than half full.
- Now take a medium bowl and add the flour, cayenne, paprika, and salt. Whisk the ingredients well.
- Take another bowl and add half of this mixture in it. Now take a third bowl and add the buttermilk or milk in it. Place all of these bowls on the counter in the following order:
- spiced flour, buttermilk, and spiced flour.
- Now take the squids from the lemon juice and put each piece in the flour. Shake off any excess and then put it into the buttermilk. Again shaking off the excess and back into the second bowl of flour. Repeat this process with all the calamari pieces.
- For about two to three minutes fry the squids in batches until golden brown. After that, take it out, drain on a paper towel and immediately sprinkle salt on the calamari generously so that it sticks to calamari. Serve it with marinara sauce and lemon wedges.
Calamari is the Italian name of squid. This dish is mostly found in Asian culinary. You can stir fry, deep fry, or cook it with pasta. Also marinara sauce or garlic and lemon adds more taste to it.
I hope you like my post about what is calamari and if you have any query then ask us. Also, if you want to give any suggestion then write it down in the comments section. we will be waiting to hear from you soon. You can also read: